Thursday, June 23, 2011

Eating the Heels

One of the many memories of my father was he also always ate the heels of the loafs of bread. Kids never like the heels and with three kids, it seems like we went through loafs of bread fairly quickly. None of us wanted to eat the heels I remember dad was always asking to eat the heels and, so I always assumed he liked the heels. It was many, many years later; that dad revealed that he didn't like the heels of the bread and once we were gone from the house, he would avoid eating them also.

I relate the story on this father's day because I realize that his eating of the heels was a model of being a great father. A good father is selfless, willing to make sacrifices, and doesn't complain or boast about those sacrifices. He had demonstrated those qualities to us regularly as a father.


Happy Father's day to all those who eat the heels.

1 comment:

  1. And thanks for always eating all of the olives for us, Dad!

    ReplyDelete