Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Doonesbury

Many of my generation (baby boomers turned 60) have followed Doonesbury cartoon as part of our adult lives. Its creator, GB Trudeau, began writing the Doonesbury script when he was in college in the late 60's, as I was. I found some common ground with the characters, and their lives as they unfolded over the years. It was humorous and timely as he chronicled life on a college campus in the turbulent times of the late 60's and 70's. His script had a way of shining a blinding spotlight on society, growing up, and other cultural aspects of American life in the 70's,80's 90's up to today. I often found myself drawn to the minor characters of the script as well as the main characters. What was remarkable about this script is that the characters were aging along with us. As we became young parents and middle aged and struggled with getting older, the characters in Doonesbury were also facing many of the same struggles.

Although they reflect our generation, I'm surprised that they've been able to stay so thin. That's not normal! Their bodies have not shown the effects of living a life of use and abuse as many of our bodies have. I wonder when one of the Doonesbury characters will get a joint replaced or be diagnosed with heart disease?

No comments:

Post a Comment