Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Road Trip to Washington: 2011 version

As part of our 40th wedding anniversary, Alice and I are making another road trip out to Washington.

This is actually the third similar road trip to Washington we've taken together. In 1972, with our friends Don and Cindy, we bought a rather ugly green van, put a rug down in the back, threw in a couch, and, with two dogs, headed west. We actually spent our first anniversary in that van as we traveled through the plains. We eventually made our way to Manson, Wa; where my uncle found us jobs picking apples with a grower in the area.

Just over 20 years later we made another road trip to the Washington; this time with our kids in our Toyota van. We visited many of the same spots along the way before arriving in Manson. One thing that really stands out about that trip was that Marshall could drive; so it was nice to sit in the back and let him do his share of the driving.

Now 39 years after Alice and I made that first road trip together, we're heading out again. No camping on this trip,though; we have hotels and B & B's reserved out and back.

This will actually be my fourth road trip to Washington. My parents made a similar road trip when I was 18 months old and my sister was 3 1/2. But I only have a few photos of that trip, no memories.

But the idea of taking a road trip to Washington to visit relatives began much earlier. I have a photo album that my dad made after he and his brother and friends made a similar trip in 1937. I can't imagine what the roads and conditions must have been like as they traveled out to Washington.

The tradition continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment