Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Perspective on D-Day and time

The recent 65th anniversary of D-Day provided me another lesson in the perspective of time and age. Simply, when I was born in 1949, D-Day had occurred only 5 years before(June 6, 1944). To an adult, 5 years is not a very long time: the 9/11 attack occurred 8 years ago. In 2004 (a short four years ago), you may remember George W. won his second presidential election and the earthquake and tsunami struck in the Indian Ocean that Dec.

Although as an infant and a young child, the world is such a small, small place that I wouldn't be able to understand or appreciate that the world had been at war and that war had ended only four short years earlier.(May 1945, V-E day ;Sept. 1945 V-J day) But now, with an adult perspective of time and age, I have a much different appreciation of how fresh the memories of the previous years must have been for my parents and grandparents in 1949 and growing up in the fifties.

My generation has always understood the "boomer" label given to us by the media. But unfortunately it has take me a long time to more better understand the perspective of the parents of that generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment